Patent Steps Menu
The fifth step to patenting an invention is prosecuting the application (patent prosecution). Patent prosecution is communicating with the USPTO seeking to put the application in a condition for allowance. Generally, prosecution services are one of these three activities:  representing a patent application through examination (responding to office actions),  appealing an examination decision, or  conducting opposition, reissue, or reexamination proceedings. Prosecution happens after an invention is patent pending.
Our USPTO registered patent attorney works with prosecuting both before and after a patent is granted. We provide all pre-grant patent services for pending patent applications and post grant patent services for patented inventions needed to seek and maintain patent protection for your invention.
What is patent prosecution strategy? Good prosecution strategy starts in writing and filing a complete and proper first application. Good claims, specification, and drawings are the best strategy.Carson Patents®
Patent Prosecution Details Pending Patent Applications
After a patent application is pending, patent prosecution pre-grant patent services is conducting communications with the patent office about an application in an effort to put the application in a condition for allowance and issue. Specifically, it is communication regarding the examination of an application. Read more about what happens after filing a patent application.
- Patent Services for Patent Pending Applications
- Pre Grant Patent Services Examples with Costs
- Pre Grant Patent Services Testimonials
Inventor Tip: There are several ways of getting patent applications prosecuted faster. Read more about getting your patent application prosecuted faster in our article on accelerating patent applications.
Entrepreneur Tip: We can write and file accelerated examination patent applications under the USPTO’s Accelerated Examination Program for both utility and design patent applications. This USPTO program is meant to get to a final decision regarding allowance and issue, or rejection, within 12 months by adding a pre-examination search, an accelerated examination support document (AESD), and an examiner interview with the patent examiner.
Patent Prosecution Details Patented Inventions
After a patent application is allowed and issued, post grant patent services are sometimes needed. Read more about what happens after getting a patent.
- Post Grant Patent Services for Issued Patents
- Assignments for Changes in Patent Ownership
- Monitoring Patents for Potential Infringers
- Licensing Agreements and License Contracts
- Sale of all or a percentage of Interest in an Issued Patent
- Ex-Parte Reexamination of an Issued Patent
- Inter Partes Reexamination of an Issued Patent
- Infringement Lawsuits
- Alternative Dispute Resolutions (ADR)
- Post Grant Patent Services Examples with Costs
- Post Grant Patent Services Testimonials
6 Benefits of Hiring a Patent Attorney to Prosecute your Inventions Patent Application
- Expertise and Knowledge: Patent attorneys are specialized legal professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in patent law. They are trained to understand the complex legal requirements for obtaining a patent and can provide guidance on patentability, infringement, and licensing issues.
- Better Chances of Approval: Patent attorneys have a thorough understanding of the patent application process and can ensure that all necessary paperwork is properly completed and filed. They can also help to draft the claims and specifications to maximize the chances of approval by the patent office.
- Avoiding Mistakes: The patent application process can be complex and confusing. Patent attorneys can help you avoid common mistakes that could lead to your application being rejected or delayed. This can save you time and money in the long run.
- Protection of Intellectual Property: Patent attorneys can help to protect your intellectual property rights by identifying potential infringers and taking legal action to prevent them from using your invention without permission.
- Increased Value of Your Patent: A well-drafted patent application can increase the value of your invention and make it more attractive to potential investors, licensees, or buyers.
- Legal Advice: Patent attorneys can provide legal advice on a range of patent-related issues, including licensing, patent litigation, and infringement disputes.
Online Patent Prosecution and Patent Related Actions and Petition Filing
Patent Center controls electronic application filing at the USPTO. Importantly, filing an application in Patent Center requires an online account. The account will also permit tracking of the application. An online account is available for free on the Patent Center page.
We provide patent prosecution with the USPTO and WIPO. The USPTO accepts utility, design, and plant patent applications. WIPO accepts both PCT (utility and plant) and Hague (design) patent application prosecution documents filed directly. Patent application help for responding to USPTO Office Actions from a USPTO licensed patent lawyer, from $480.
Inventor Tip: When looking for expert patent prosecution help only a USPTO licensed patent attorney or patent agent can prosecute patents for you.