Carson Patents® Online Patent Help
Carson Patents® provides Personal Patent Services™ for utility patent applications and design patent applications. Utility patents protect how and what an invention does (its use/function). Design patents protect inventive unique design (its look/ornamental appearance). We offer affordable expert utility and design invention patent application services following our 4 steps to patent. Our USPTO Registered Patent Agent, is an online patent services specialist. Contact us for help with any of the 4 steps to patent. The four steps are:  prior art search and patentability evaluation,  application writing,  application filing, and  patent prosecuting.
Patenting Services Links
Carson Patents® Articles
- Patent Agent Legal ServicesPatent Agent Legal Services? When it comes to legal rights, in pertinent part, property rights, there are licensed professionals who offer help in exercising or protecting your rights. Lawyers. For patents there are patent practitioners (agent or attorney) to deal with these special rights.
- How to do a Patent SearchThe basics on how to start and conduct a prior art or patent search to find out if an invention is novel and non-obvious. By Carson Patents, USPTO Registered Patent Agent, Gregory Carson.
- Patenting SoftwarePatenting software, is the same as patenting anything else, and, it can all be done online from the comfort of your home or workshop. The complex nature of the requirements means you might want professional help.
- How much does a patent cost?Patenting Costs article: How much does it cost to get a patent? $5-8k total (US Patent issued), depending on what kind (design or utility), how complex, and in which countries patent protection is sought.
Patent Services FAQ’s
What is a patent?
A patent is the legal right to control the making, using, and selling of the invention for a limited time. In the United States, utility and design patents are issued for different lengths of time. Utility patents are issued for 20 years from the filing date. Design patents are issued for 15 years date of issuance. Contact us to apply for a patent for your invention or idea.
What is the difference between a utility patent and a design patent?
A utility patent protects the way an article is used and works (35 U.S.C. 101). A design patent protects the way an article looks (35 U.S.C. 171). You can get both design and utility patents for an article if invention resides both in its utility and ornamental appearance. Utility and design patents afford legally separate protection. But frequently, the utility and design of a product are not easily separable. Products may possess both functional and ornamental characteristics. Contact us.
What is a PPA – Provisional Patent Application?
A provisional patent application allows you to file an application without formal patent claim(s), oath/declaration, or any information disclosure (prior art) statement. Provisional applications are not examined and therefore do not require claims.
The provisional application is only pending for one year. It is essentially a place holder for a later non-provisional application. After a provisional is filed, a non-provisional application must be filed within 12 months of the provisional application filing date. Contact us to start the steps to patent for your invention. Read more on our patent pending page.
What is patentability?
Our most frequently asked question (FAQ). Patentability is a combination of two evaluations. The first is a determination of whether an idea or invention meets the criteria to be patentable. In other words, is the invention patent eligible subject matter? The second evaluation, is a three part determination. Firstly, whether it exists in the prior art. Secondly, whether it conflicts with another invention or idea. And, thirdly, whether it would be obvious to try for a person having ordinary skill in the art. Contact us for a prior art search and patentability study for your idea or invention.
Which patent offices does Carson Patents® work with?
We file and prosecute utility patent applications and design patent applications online at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and at World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO).
– USPTO online filing at – Patent Center, and EFS Web – for US utility and design patent applications.
– WIPO online filing at – PCT Applications – for international utility patent applications.
– WIPO online filing at – Hague Applications – for international design patent applications.