Patent Pending

What does “Patent Pending” mean?

Patent Pending means that an application for patent protection has been filed. Filing a provisional or non-provisional application will result in patent pending status. (Read about patenting costs.) After you file an application for a utility, design, or plant patent with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), they issue you a patent application number and send you a filing receipt. Inventors often use the filing receipt as proof the invention is patent pending. If you are first to file, and the application is examined and prosecuted to an allowance, you can then be issued a patent. Once filed, the invention remains patent pending until allowance or final rejection. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent.

Patent pending does not mean that the actual invention or product will be granted (allowed and issued) patent protection. It means an application was filed. Patent pending continues from filing an application until its allowance or final rejection. Note, provisional patent applications are only pending for twelve months.

While pending, many applications require amendments, new/revised claims, or further explanation. These communications occur during patent prosecution. Note, sometimes there is a need to submit an additional application because new matter must be added to support the claims. Carson Patents four steps to patent include all patenting services from the initial search through prosecution. Contact us and get your invention patent pending.

When can you put “Patent Pending” on your invention or product?

Once you have your filing receipt for your invention, you can label your product “Patent Pending” if you like. The phrase “Patent Applied for” is also used for this purpose. You do not have to mark your invention or product, but it would serve to put the public (and competitors) on notice that you have filed for and are seeking patent protection. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent for your invention or idea.

How do you get “Patent Pending” for your invention?

You really only need to file an application for a patent to get “Patent Pending” status for your invention. This can be done with a Provisional Patent Application or a Non-Provisional Application. Any patent application, US or International (PCT & Hague); Utility, Plant, or Design can be filed to get your invention “Patent Pending.” Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent your invention or idea.

What is the difference between Provisional and Non-Provisional Applications?

Both kinds, provisional and non-provisional applications, require the specification, and drawings if needed. But, only the non-provisional requires claims. The provisional is a patent pending placeholder for a later non-provisional application.

PPA – Provisional Patent Applications

What is a PPA – Provisional Patent Application?

Patent Pending Application Carson Patents Logo Icon with text PPA A provisional patent application allows you to file an application without formal patent claim(s), oath/declaration, or any information disclosure (prior art) statement. Provisional applications are not examined and therefore do not require claims.

The provisional application is only pending for one year. It is essentially a place holder for a later non-provisional application. To claim priority to the earlier provisional, the later non-provisional application must be filed within one year of the provisional filing date.

The specification and drawings must be complete with either a provisional or non-provisional application. A later non-provisional application cannot make claims that are not supported in the provisional application’s specification. Also, a later non-provisional cannot add new matter and maintain a priority claim to the provisional application’s filing date. Contact Carson Patents to file a provisional patent application for your invention.

Regular – Non-Provisional Patent Applications

A non-provisional patent application is a regular patent application. The non-provisional application requires the specification and drawings just like the provisional. Importantly, the regular patent application also requires: the formal patent claim(s), oath/declaration, and an information disclosure (prior art) statement.

The regular (non-provisional) patent application requires six things to be complete. The six things needed for a non-provisional patent application are: the [1] specification, [2] claims, [3] drawings (when required), [4] fee, [5] oath, and [6] a translation if not in English.

Provisional patent applications for your invention may or may not be lower cost. There are reasons for filing a provisional application. And, there are reasons to skip filing the provisional and go straight to the full non-provisional. How much a patent costs depends on several factors. Contact Carson Patents to discuss your options, or to start the steps to patent your invention.

How does “Patent Pending” become a Patent?

If you are first to file, you receive a notice of allowance, and you pay the issue fee, then patent pending status becomes a patent. Once the issue fee is paid, the patent will issue – be granted. Only a non-provisional can receive a notice of allowance and be issued (granted) by paying the issue fee. Patent Protection is based on the claims of the patent and can be very valuable. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent your invention.

What does patent protection mean?

In short, patent protection means that you have been granted the right to control the making, using, and selling of your invention for the duration of the patent. Utility patents are valid for 20 years from the filing date. Design patents are valid for 15 years from the date of issue. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent for your invention or idea.

Country Specific Protection

Patent protection is limited to the country where the patent was issued. US patents protect the right to control the making, using, and selling in the United States. To seek patent protection in other countries, the International patent applications are used. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent.

International Patent Applications

For countries outside the US, the International Patent Applications are used. Carson Patents provides patent services for two kinds of International Patent Applications. The International Applications are prosecuted through the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO). WIPO is the global forum for intellectual property (IP) services, policy, information and cooperation. For Utility Patents and Plant Patents, there is the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Application. For Design Patents, there is the Hague (International Industrial Design) Application. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent.

PCT International Patent Applications

Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications can be filed with either the USPTO or WIPO. And, are managed by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). PCT applications are used to seek patent protection for an invention simultaneously in a large number of countries by filing a single “international” patent application instead of filing several separate national or regional patent applications. The complete and proper filing of an international PCT application provides patent pending status in participating countries where protection is sought.

Patents can be sought and obtained in any of the more than 190 contracting states (countries or regions of the world) participating with the WIPO based on this single application. The granting of patents remains under the control of the national or regional patent offices in what is called the “national phase.”

The national phase is the part of the international process where you apply for patents in the countries where protection is sought. Patents for particular countries or regions are filed in those countries or regions. National phase processing and entry of an application for patent is done individually in each country or region where protection is sought. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent for your invention.

Hague (International Industrial Design) Applications

The Hague applications are International Industrial Design Patent Applications. Like the PCT applications, Hague patent applications are managed at the WIPO. The Hague System for the International Registration of Industrial Designs provides a practical business solution for registering up to 100 designs in 74 contracting parties covering 91 countries, through the filing of one single international application. The complete and proper filing of an international Hague application results in patent pending status in participating countries where protection is sought.

Design patent protection is sought by filing a single international application in a single language. Filing is either directly with the International Bureau of the WIPO or indirectly through the patent office in your country. Contact Carson Patents to start the steps to patent your design invention, or your inventions design.

Patent Pending - Carson Patents Logo with words Patent Pending

Important TIP: When looking for experienced online patent services from a Patents Office or IP/Patents Law Firm – only Patent Attorneys, and Patent Agents can prosecute patents. Call Carson Patents for your USPTO Registered Patent Agent help.

Veteran Owned Business Patent Agent Verified Member Badge Icon - transparent background.

Be first to file, get patent pending status, contact us to file an affordable cost provisional or non-provisional application. Buy a patent search online.